Child Custody Attorney in North Carolina and South Carolina
Experience. Professionalism. Compassion.
Families involved in a custody dispute are often dealing with stress and uncertainty as they navigate the legal process. Collins Family Law Group was created to help families through these cases! Our team of child custody attorneys
As you face a child custody dispute, we want to help you move forward with confidence. We can help you protect your child’s best interests by explaining the law, advising you on options, and advocating for your position.
Types of Child Custody in NC and SC
When parents decide to divorce, they have the opportunity to reach a mutual agreement regarding child custody through mediation and collaborative law outside of a courtroom, and this child custody agreement will typically be subject to court review and approval.
If a separating couple cannot reach an agreement, they often end up in court in front of a family court judge who will then make that decision. Family court judges can have wide discretion in deciding child custody orders.
A schedule determining when each parent has the minor child can be ordered by the court or agreed upon by the parties. Because you know your child and your situation far better than any judge ever could, reaching an agreement on custody is usually preferable to having a judge make the decision for you. You have the opportunity to reach a mutual agreement regarding child custody through mediation or collaborative law, but if you cannot reach an agreement then the court will determine the custody arrangement. Family court judges can have wide discretion in crafting a child custody order. Any order or agreement will address legal and physical custody and will be based upon several factors.
The differences between legal and physical custody:
- Legal custody refers to the parent’s right to make major decisions regarding the child’s health, education, religious upbringing, and general welfare. Legal custody provisions address the process for consultation and decision-making on these issues of major significance.
- Physical custody refers to the day-to-day living arrangement of the child and addresses when the child is with each parent. The physical custody arrangement will usually address time sharing for holidays and special occasions as well as regular, weekly time sharing.
A custody determination is based on many factors, such as:
- The home environment that each parent is capable of providing.
- The health, lifestyle, and financial standing of each parent.
- Past or current drug use or alcohol abuse.
- Evidence of domestic violence.
- Any current child custody agreement or informal arrangements in place.
- The child’s relationship with both parents.
- The child’s preference may be considered depending on the age and maturity of the child, but it is not determinative.
She cares about her clients
Ms. Collins is a superb attorney that I would highly recommend. She cares about her clients, is very knowledgeable, has a professional, kind demeanor, and always gives 110%.
Avoid a Courtroom Battle
Working with an experienced child custody attorney in NC or SC can help you avoid a courtroom battle that could result in a heartbreaking, court-mandated order. Turn your child custody agreement into an active arrangement that you can have control over rather than putting your family’s matters in the hands of a judge.
Modifying & Enforcing Child Custody Orders
Courts recognize that life brings changes and difficulties. Our skilled child custody lawyers in North Carolina and South Carolina can continue to stand by your side if you need to modify a custody plan due to significant changes in your life such as seeking relocation for a job, or if you need to enforce a custody agreement with a delinquent former spouse. Whether you need trusted counsel for child custody modifications or child custody enforcement, Collins Family Law Group can help you preserve your child’s best interests.
Why Choose Our Child Custody Lawyers?
- We offer expertise — Board Certified Family Law Specialist at the firm.
- We have proudly served North Carolina for over 20 years.
- We pursue peaceful solutions and have two licensed mediators on our team.
- We are zealous advocates of litigating the case in the courtroom is required.
- We are known for creative, client-centered strategies.
Related Blog Posts
Ready to Get Started?
Discover how our family of lawyers can help. We would be happy to discuss your legal matters in full detail through a case consultation. * Required fields