Get the legal help you need!
(704) 289-3250
Request a Consultation
Us Today

Modification of Court Orders

Court Order Modification

Ideally, once a court order for custody, child support, or alimony is entered, that order would govern the parties’ rights and responsibilities indefinitely. However, circumstances change through the years and an order that was reasonable when entered may need to be revisited. When circumstances change, you may feel hesitant to seek modification because you do not want to expend the time and emotional energy to restart the litigation process, but an attorney from Collins Family Law Group can help you determine whether modification is warranted and can guide you through the process.

Searching for an attorney for a court order modification? If you feel as though circumstances have changed such that your custody, child support, or alimony order needs to be modified, contact a skilled attorney from Collins Family Law Group to help you navigate.

Child Support or Alimony Modification

You may be able to seek modification of a support order if there has been a substantial change in your financial situation since the original order was entered. Changes may include:

  • Changes in the needs of the parties
  • Retirement
  • Significant income loss
  • Loss of job
  • The needs of your child have changed, resulting in a need for more or less support
  • Changes in any of the factors that were used to calculate support

Parties can reach a modification agreement through the process of mediation or collaborative law. If the parties cannot reach an agreement, the trial court will have to make the decision about modification. Whether your case is one for mediation, collaborative law, or litigation, we can explain modification law to you and help you present your best case for modification of a support order.

Child Custody Modificaton

Child custody modification can take place in the event of a serious life change for one or both parents.

Child custody orders may need to be changed for many reasons, such as:

  • Change in child’s needs, interests, or activities as the child matures
  • One parent must move out of state, making visitation rights difficult
  • One parent has a significant change in work schedule
  • Situations of domestic abuse or violence

Parties can negotiate a new custody agreement through mediation, but if the parties are unable to reach an agreement, the court will make the decision for them. With help from a Charlotte custody attorney from our firm, we can help you prepare for a child custody modification, whether done by agreement or through litigation. We will work with you to gather and present the best evidence to show that a modification is warranted and that a modification would be in the best interests of the child.

Client Testimonial

She cares about her clients

Ms. Collins is a superb attorney that I would highly recommend. She cares about her clients, is very knowledgeable, has a professional, kind demeanor, and always gives 110%.

Stephanie E.

Help With Modification of an Order

Looking for a lawyer for court order modification in Charlotte, NC? We have helped countless families throughout Charlotte in their family law matters, including court order modifications and enforcement. We know how complicated and exhausting the process can be, but if your life’s circumstances have significantly changed, you should not be burdened with the stress of continuing to operate under an order that no longer makes sense. We can help determine what legal actions are available to you.

Ready to Start the Process?

To learn more about how Collins Family Law Group can be of assistance in your court order modification, do not hesitate to contact our firm today.

Why Choose Our Lawyers?

  • We offer expertise — Board Certified Family Law Specialist at the firm.
  • We have proudly served North Carolina for over 20 years.
  • We pursue peaceful solutions and have two licensed mediators on our team.
  • We are zealous advocates if litigating the case in the courtroom is required.
  • We are known for creative, client-centered strategies.

Related Blog Posts


Property & Debt Division

Child Custody

Fathers’ Rights

Separation Agreements

Spousal Support

Child Support

Grandparents’ Rights

Ready to Get Started?

Discover how our family of lawyers can help. We would be happy to discuss your legal matters in full detail through a case consultation. * Required fields